Getting started is easy! Here’s how to get involved:
- Attend an info session to learn more about the model. Look at our website for city-wide dates or attend through your church.
- Fill out an online application and provide 3 references (1 pastoral and 2 personal/professional). Select “New York City, NY” in the region drop down box.
- Schedule a brief 15 minute phone interview with our Church and Volunteer Mobilization Coordinator, Tia Richards: email@example.com
- Complete background screening, which includes:
- Watch the online volunteer training (2 ½ hours): “Family Friend Mentoring (without hosting).” Create an account and request enrollment key from Tia.
- Once approved, volunteers will receive a list of current families looking for support and can request to be matched with a family.
*For any questions on the approval process, please contact Tia Richards at firstname.lastname@example.org or 917.952.0401.
Click on the volunteer role to submit an application:
*Select region in the drop down box as “New York City, NY”
Family Friend: Befriends and supports parent and/or child by offering services such as babysitting, transportation, mentoring, help connecting with local resources, help with job or housing searches, and other friend-like support.
Family Coach: Coordinates the team to make sure that the child, parent, and Family Friends have all necessary resources to thrive. The coach can delegate any needs to the Family Friends. *Note: Family Coaches first fill out the Family Friend application and will have additional training and an interview once they are approved as Family Friends.
Resource Friend: Provides direct services such as medical/dental care or counseling OR collect and deliver goods such as diapers, formula, baby items, or furniture.
Behind-the-Scenes Support: Support the mission by helping in areas such as church or agency engagement, legislative advocacy, or fundraising. We rely on volunteers for all of these areas! Email email@example.com to inquire.